Monday, April 30, 2012

Question of the Week -- Teacher Workload

Photo by The George Eastman House Collection: ca 1910
I often have high school and college students visit my classroom to see if they want to become a teacher.  The most recent one also interviewed me so she could write a paper for her Shadow Day.  She asked several questions about teacher workload.  How much time do I spend in meetings?  How much time do I spend planning and grading papers outside the school day?

It's not the first time I have considered how many hours I spend.  I try to fit what I need to do within 45 hours a week.  I feel guilty about that sometimes, because the work doesn't end.

When I first moved to the school I teach at now a veteran teacher made the comment that she wanted to be able to keep teaching for a long time, so she takes care of herself.  She works hard the hours she is there, but feels that time with her family is important, too.

What is your workload like?  Are you taking time for balance?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...