Friday, February 28, 2014

Nursery Rhyme Remix

I use poetry in my classroom in many ways.  I found a new way to create poems called the remix.  (I don't know where it originated.  I found it on My Name is Not Bob Robert Lee Brewer's blog.

Here is an example of a remixed Humpty Dumpty.  I took words and ideas from the poem and changed the form into a lune: 5 syllables, 3 syllables, 5 syllables.

Humpty Dumpty fell
off a wall
Could not be repaired
 
Here is another one remixed from Peter, Peter Pumpkin Eater.
 
Peter and his wife
Had a very nice life.
They lived very well
In an empty pumpkin shell.

I shortened and rearranged the lines, but kept the quatrain form.

Here is a Google Doc with four nursery rhymes.  I find that my students do not always know these traditional forms and it helps to have a few printed out for them to work with.


I hope you enjoy remixing nursery rhymes with your students.

Here is a related paid product:

Freebie Fridays

Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

1 comment:

  1. I love using nursery rhymes with my students. It is true that many of them don't know them. I really wish they did! Thanks for sharing the freebie!

    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...