Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Greek Mythology Resources for Upper Elementary


Meet Argus, the mythological creature with all the eyes.  My students were asking for an Elf on the Shelf in December, but I didn't want to be cliché. (I bet they remember me years from now and it won't be because I helped them passed standardized tests.)

I have been reading several book series that introduce Greek Mythology to 9-12 year olds.  Here are four and my ratings.

The Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan

   




I love this series by Rick Riordan.  I often read the first book and students read the rest.

  Myth-o-mania by Kate McMullan
I read the original set with my stepdaughter when she was in elementary school.  I was excited to see that they were rereleased.  


Heroes in Training
 
 
I thought this retelling of the original myth was good for my classroom library.  Several of my students have read and enjoyed this series.

Goddess Girls (also by Joan Holub)
 



I was less impressed with the girl versions of the myths.  They are set in a modern school setting with crushes and make up and the like.  In my opinion, girls deserve better.


To find out more about my rating system for books, click here.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...