Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Hard Gold by Avi


The Gold Rush isn't a topic specific to any of the grade levels I have taught.  I would still consider Hard Gold by Avi an appropriate book for reading aloud to an upper elementary class.  My students are fascinated with this period in history and it is another way to discuss the hardships settlers had in different parts of the western territories.




Early Whitcomb's family is about to lose their Iowa farm to the railroad.  Early's nineteen-year-old Uncle Jesse travels to the Rocky Mountains to make his fortune in gold.  Early travels after him and learns much about greed and family along the way.

 For an explanation of my rating scale, click here.
Find me at Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...