Wednesday, March 2, 2016

How-to Books -- Celebrating 1000







On Wednesdays I usually do a book review, but to be honest I didn't find a book I loved that fit the theme of 1000.

For those of you just stopping by for this post, Artistry of Education has hit a milestone of 1000 posts.  I am celebrating by giving away freebies each day for a week that are related to 1000.

What I did notice is that many books that have the word 1000 in the title are How-to books.  This gives me an opportunity to introduce a new genre to my students.  People create all kinds of things for their homes and gardens, then write up the directions for others to follow.  (Caution: some of the how to books are not ones I want my students to read. Don't just send them off on a computer search.)

Before we had a district curriculum, I organized my literacy lessons by genre.  I have published several of those lessons on Teachers Pay Teachers and Teacher's Notebook.   Click here to see my Teaching Genre series. 

While I don't expect students to write 1000 ways to do something, I do have a free writing lesson called Top Ten.  You can download Top Ten from my Teachers Pay Teachers store.  Top Ten is also available in my Teacher's Notebook store.

Come back tomorrow for the final piece of digital swag.  On Friday, I will post a round up of the week in case you missed something.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...