Monday, July 25, 2016

Delivering a Lesson to ELLs


When teaching a lesson to students learning English, I incorporate three features that I would use with any students: supporting content objectives, promoting student engagement, and pacing.  The fourth feature is unique to an ELL lesson: supporting language objectives.  Other students who are behind in language might benefit from the strategies listed in this chapter.

Besides "Think-Pair-Share" there are two strategies that I want to try when presenting new information.  One is called "Roam and Review".  After I have been teaching for about 10 minutes, students walk around the room and discuss the information with their classmates.  I also want to have students write headlines to summarize important information.

Have you missed the other posts in this series?  Click the tag Comprehensible Content to find all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...