Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford



A group of my students are reading Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet in an after school book club.  When I heard about it, I had to read it.

The plot moves back and forth between Seattle at the time of the Japanese internment and the 80s.  Henry Lee, a Chinese-American, arrives at the Panama Hotel and realizes that items left there by Japanese families have personal meaning for him. He flashes back to a relationship he had with a Japanese-American girl and how they were separated as she moved to an internment camp.

I'm having great discussions with my fifth grade girls about their reading.  My stepdaughter read it in a community college English literature class.  My mom read it when it was recommended by a friend.




For an explanation of my rating scale, click here.
Find me at Goodreads.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...