Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Veterans Day 2019 (A Day Late)




Ft. Dix 1983 -- I didn't share my military experience for a while except when participating in two truths and a lie. People would thank me for being a veteran and I would awkwardly thank them.

A friend and fellow veteran has encouraged me the last several years to stand for those who can't.  We teach at the same school so we would both stand during the school assembly.  Students would turn around to stare.


I think what I have is survivor's guilt. I didn't make any difficult sacrifices. I left service better off than when I went in. The military paid for my college and gave me some life experiences that helped me when I became a teacher.

If identifying myself with those who didn't have it as easy helps them, I'm in.

Happy Veterans Day 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...