Monday, July 2, 2012

To Theme or not to Theme

 
Update (July 13, 2013): I still don't do cute.
It's that time of year where everyone is getting their rooms color coordinated.  I always feel like a failure in this.  I just want to vent.

Original post:
I visited a fourth grade classroom this spring that was decorated in a college sports theme.  The banners over the table groups were PAC 10 colleges.  There were sports posters on every wall.  I was there to observe a literacy lesson, but I came away ready to redecorate my room.

When I packed up my room last Monday, the roll of paper I meant to recover my bulletin board was still on the window seat.  This is why you never see pictures of my classroom: I don't do cute.

It could be because I teach slightly older students.  It could be that I just don't have an eye for design.  It's more likely that I just don't spend my time that way.

I look at pictures of classrooms on other blogs and dream of how I might redesign my space next year.  I may pick out one or two ideas and see how it goes.  I don't want to set myself up for failure.

I have to say that despite the lack of coordinated decorations in my room, my principal has a stack of parent requests for students to be placed with me next year.  I still envy the beautiful classrooms, but I must be doing something right.

Is anyone else with me on this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...