Monday, September 23, 2013

Heating, Cooling and Wasps

The first full week of school, the weather was unseasonably warm -- 80 and 90 degree weather in Seattle in September is well above average.  Our school has huge windows that soak in the heat and a heating/cooling system that is always being worked on, so we opened the windows.

Wasps began flying in and because we have enough bee sting allergies and the like, I was concerned.

The custodian was sympathetic,  but he can't use any sprays at school.  We really can't do anything about it.

And this is my point: all these decisions are made in buildings far away from me.  When I want the temperature in my room changed, I call up the custodian who calls someone else who sits in front of a computer and changes the number in the computer.  This often has no impact whatsoever on the actual temperature in my room.

I understand in theory why we can't spray wasps, but that doesn't help the little girl with the swelling finger.

There are so many decisions that I feel like I could influence before, but now I feel like they just want us to stop complaining.  "They" always have a reason for their policy, but they don't know my students or my work environment.

It's time for the pendulum to swing back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...