Monday, July 28, 2014

The Magnified Inch for Mixed Numbers


Last Monday, I shared how I used the Magnified Inch lesson to introduce fractions.  This week I am explaining how I extend the lesson for mixed numbers.

This came about, because so many problems for Common Core fractions required students to plot fractions and mixed numbers on a number line.  My students struggled with this, and I believe that when they construct the model with my guidance, it helps them so much more than just viewing a model an adult has already constructed.

So I redid the original Magnified Inch and then had them make a second one in a different color.  As you can see in the picture above, we added ones before each of the fractions.  I had them tape the two strips together to make a continuous number line.

(I didn't do this last school year, but I was thinking about extending this number line with mixed numbers up to 4.  I don't know that I would do this with every student.  I'll get back to you on that.)

It still didn't sink in for most students until we started reading the numbers left to right aloud as a class.  They could see the pattern in the numbers.

If any part of this isn't clear, or you have questions, please ask in the comments.  I hope you find this lesson helpful.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...