Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Last Stop on Market Street by Matt de la Pena

Last Stop on Market Street by Matt De La Pena has already won several awards including the 2016 Newbery Medal and the 2016 Caldecott Honor Book. C.J. and Nana ride the bus home from church. C. J. wonders why they don't have a car.  Nana shows him beauty in places C. J. doesn't look.

I thought about using this book to illustrate theme.  Previously this spring I shared Mogie: The Heart of the House and Gaston with a graphic organizer to teach them. 

I decided to create a graphic organizer to have students collect events in the story to illustrate the main idea.  I teach my students that the main idea of a book is specific to those characters and plot, but a theme represents the life lesson the book teaches that could be found in other books.

To download the printable for recording the main idea and supporting events, click here.

Here is the graphic organizer for theme.






For an explanation of my rating scale, click here.
Find me at Goodreads.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...