Monday, May 2, 2016

Obnoxious Advertising


A blogger I have met in real life writes about homesteading.  I love her blog and used to enjoy visiting.  Recently she signed up for a ad service.  The ads overwhelm the site and interfere with loading the content.  Sometimes I can't even read what she has written because the pop ups cover her words and won't go away.  Don't get me started on the competing videos that are unrelated to her topic.

Teacher Tube used to be a wonderful resource.  I was trying to show a two minute video to a class I was working in.  There were so many ads that the browser crashed and the virus software was set off.  Yes, I know I can pay for an ad-free service, but to be honest I don't use them enough to justify that. Their "free" service was useless and they have lost me as a customer.

I understand that people are trying to monetize their blogs and sites, but when the ads cover the message and prevent it from loading, there's a problem.

2 comments:

  1. This site usually lets you download a video to your computer--I use it before class to help make sure it will actually work, since sometimes limited bandwidth is a problem in my school. http://en.savefrom.net

    Thanks for your great ideas !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the resource. My district inconsistently filters different websites, so what is available today isn't necessarily available tomorrow. I will try out your suggestion soon.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...