Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Amulet: The Stonekeeper – Kazu Kibuishi




This graphic novel adventure series is typical of the cartoons I see targeted for my age group.  Father dies tragically.  Mother is missing.  The children have to battle unusual creatures on their own. They are given powers they don't completely understand.

I was first introduced to this series three years ago when one of my fifth grade non-readers started carrying around the first book.  He borrowed it from his learning support teacher and pulled it out for independent reading. Now that I know how few words there are in this story, I wonder why it took him so long to "read" it.

I don't mind having students read graphic novels during independent reading time.  Graphic novels give my struggling readers support, but they look more mature than picture books.  This book has some elements  of story that I can use in my independent reading conferences.  I won't let them have a steady diet of this type of book.  I just know better how I can use this tool to encourage real reading.

Free printable story board to encourage students to write their own graphic novel.

To find out more about my rating scale, click here.
Find me at Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...