Friday, June 27, 2014

Time to Cook -- Not Strictly Teaching Related


One of my favorite things to do in the summer is try recipes I have collected over the school year.  I usually mess up pork chops, but I found a rub from Alton Brown and I learned how to sear them in olive oil over medium high heat.  They were delicious.

Alton Brown recommended 8 parts brown sugar, 3 parts kosher salt, 1 part chili powder, and 1 part whatever spices you like.  We eat a lot of garlic at our house.  I also added black pepper to that last part.  I used tablespoons as my measurement.  The rub keeps in a clean dry jar in my cupboard.



I also tried the rub on salmon.  It helps to leave it on the meat for an hour before cooking.

I served my new favorite salad from Hye Thyme Café: watermelon, cucumber, mint and lime.  He adds salt and a dash of chili powder.  I loved it without the last two ingredients.

If you are curious about what other recipes I have actually tried, visit my Pinterest Board by that name.
Follow Mary Bauer's board Recipes I've Actually Tried on Pinterest.

I would also love it if you would share in the comments recipes you are trying out this summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...