Friday, November 21, 2014

Fractions of a Group


When I solve a problem in my classroom, I assume others might have the same problem.  I know the trend is to have students solve rigorous problems with lots of vocabulary, but sometimes I just want to know if my students understand how to manipulate the numbers.

Last year I created a series of  short math quizzes for different aspects of fractions.  The first set I posted last spring called: Adding and Subtracting Fractions with Like Denominators.  This week I want to share Fractions of a Group. 

This document from my Google Drive has three short quizzes with answer keys.  I can use them for monitoring the progress of my students.  I like having three for pretest, mid-unit, and post-test.

I know it may seem obvious, but I have math materials that students can use to form equal groups using the denominator and then collecting the number of groups in the numerator.  This physical manipulation is necessary even in the upper elementary grades where we think they should compute abstractly. 

Next week I will share Converting Mixed Numbers to Improper Fractions and Back.




Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

4 comments:

  1. I agree, Mary... sometimes we just need to know if all of our students are "with us" before we move ahead in our teaching. It sounds like this fits the bill! Thanks for sharing.
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...