Friday, November 20, 2015

Writing Prompt: My Unusual Thanksgiving



This lesson started with a guest poet in my classroom and I have added a little bit to it each year.  The original prompt was describing "My Unusual Thanksgiving."  The visiting poet's family was a mix of cultures and she shared some of the traditions that her family celebrates this time of year.

We collected ideas in our writing notebooks and then wrote list poems.  I also did the assignment and created the poem shown above.  To download a printable copy of "My Unusual Thanksgiving" click here.  

The next year I taught the lesson myself, but this time I used a simple graphic organizer to collect sensory details.  To download the Five Senses graphic organizer shown below, click here.

Happy Friday!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...