Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney

As many books as I have read for the age group I teach, I had not read any of the books in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series until recently.  I have a few students who read several years below the rest of the class.  Diary of a Wimpy Kid is challenging for this group.

I was having a reading conference with one of my students and he was struggling through Dog Days (Book 4)  I was trying to convince him that it wasn't a just right book.  He was determined to change my mind.

Over the next several days, he practiced.  He would come back to me and show me how he was reading more fluently and accurately.  I know this series helped motivate him to work harder.

This isn't the type of book I would pick up and read.  My husband describes the series as for boys by a boy.  (My girls read them, too.)  I did understand the attraction and there are some situations that caused me to laugh loudly.

Here is a printable reading log where students can keep track of the books they have finished and recommend them to others.

For an explanation of my rating scale, click here.
Find me at Goodreads.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...