Wednesday, May 28, 2014

A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz


Have you read  Grimm Fairy Tales?  Not the Disneyfied version where there is little violence and everyone lives happily ever after, but the original ones where people cut off their own limbs and such?

This trilogy by Adam Gidwitz follows the original tales more closely.  He cautions readers at each turn that they might be scared of the events that follow.  I know that for my students that would encourage them to read further.

In the first book, Hansel and Gretel are the main characters in several of the tales that are strung together to make a novel instead of a collection of short stories.

The author recommends reading these aloud.  I don't know if I am that brave. 
If you are studying fractured fairy tales, here is a link to a related bulletin board idea called, "When Good Fairy Tale Characters Go Bad."



For an explanation of my rating scale, click here.
Find me at Goodreads.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...