Monday, September 8, 2014

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain


I usually do book reviews on Wednesdays, but I read Quiet by Susan Cain this summer and learned so much personally and professionally.  I decided to devote a couple of Monday posts to introverts.  (For the record, I am an introvert.  I can be social when I need to be, but I need alone time to recharge.)

Last Monday I shared her TED Talk.  Today I want to share how I plan to implement what I learned in my classroom.

1. Susan Cain recommends a balance of activities that appeal to introverts and extroverts.  I have times where I expect small group work and other times where I expect students to work independently.

2. I want to intentionally encourage the different passions of my students.  Last year when the Seahawks won the Super Bowl, some of us were over-the-top excited, but not everyone.  Introverts have deep interests in activities that may not be shared by others.

3. When I have students work collaboratively, I help my introverts by choosing pairs and triads.  If the group gets too large, they may not share.

4. Cain also recommends that I teach everyone to work independently.  This may not be my extroverts' strength, but they can learn from the introverts the value of quiet deliberate practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...