Saturday, December 10, 2011

New Beginnings

"For many people, what is important about education is what is easily measured. Test scores are up: good job. Test scores are bad: needs improvement. I am not the first to propose that this system is leaving out important goals for public education. This blog is my public declaration that I plan to reclaim the art of education."  Art of Public Education, May 3, 2011

I have been teaching full time in the public schools for 21 years.  About year 14 I started getting tired of it.  Year 15, I went to the retirement seminar to see how long I needed to hang in there.  I decided to keep going to year 20.  I am still here.

Those of us in public education are teaching in difficult times: the intersection of higher expectations and fewer resources both in the system and in the neighborhoods we serve.  I started writing to add a positive voice to what teachers do every day.

I decided to change the name of my blog, not because I am ending my career in the public schools, but because I want to celebrate the best of education everywhere.  I hope you join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...