Wednesday, June 27, 2012

My Summer Reading List

Each summer I read through a stack of books for the age group I teach (upper elementary).  This practice helps me know what to recommend to my students and some of these new finds are elevated to read aloud status.

Here are a couple of places I go for my recommendations:

The Washington Library Media Association creates a list each year and encourages fourth, fifth and sixth graders to read the books and vote for their favorites.  This year's winner was NERDS by Michael Buckley.



I enjoyed reading NERDS and was excited to see several of my boys picking it up and continuing with the rest of the series.  Michael Buckley has also written The Sister's Grimm series.
The nominees for 2013 is here as well as the list from last year. 

The Pacific Northwest Library Association also has a list of books each year.  Here is the link to the 2013 nominees called the Young Readers' Choice Awards.

The winner for last year was 11 Birthdays by Wendy Mass.


I was happy to discover this author this year.  More of my girls have read her books this year than boys.  Several of her books are set in the same mysterious small town and have the birthday theme.

What are some books you would recommend I add to my list?
For an explanation of my rating scale, click here.
Find me at Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...