Friday, March 7, 2014

Are You Ready for Pi Day?



Somehow students in my school have gotten the idea that we serve pie on March 14.  (For the uninitiated, March 14 is 3/14 and mathematicians celebrate Pi Day for the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter: 3.14159265.)

Since pies are circle and pi is about a circle and I'm teaching my students about homophones, I created this activity for Pi Day.

I get frustrated with lessons that expect students to measure carefully enough to "discover" pi.  I prefer to explain the ratio and give students activities to use it.  It's not in CCSS until middle school, but this is a good exposure lesson.

You can serve pie if you wish.



Freebie FridaysClassroom Freebies Manic Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...