Friday, May 3, 2013

Factor and Multiple Game on the 100 Chart

Today I am starting a series of posts about using 100 Charts for teaching different math concepts.  I posted Rounding on the 100 Chart about six months ago, but I didn't realize then how many levels of math I could teach with this tool.
Rules for Factors and Multiples
1. The first player chooses an even number less than 50 and marks it with initials or a marker.  Pinto beans are a good size for this game board.
2. The second player chooses a number that is either a factor or a multiple of the first number and places his/her mark on that square.
3. Players continue to take turns covering squares that are a factor or a multiple of the previous square.
4. When a player cannot find a factor or multiple of the last number played, he/she loses the game.
After introducing this game, and playing a round of teacher against the class, I thought my fourth graders were ready to play in pairs.  I could tell by the questions they were asking and how quickly they got stuck, that their ideas of factors and multiples didn't extend beyond the math facts they memorized. 
I made double-sided copies of the six 100 charts on a page and showed them how to make the multiple patterns for 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12.  I told them they could use the charts they created to find factors and multiples.
The third day we played the game I reviewed factor trees.  I told them this was another strategy they could use for finding factors of large numbers.
I hope you enjoy this activity with your class.

Freebie Fridays

Classroom Freebies Manic Monday


  1. looks great...just what I need to kick off the second term and get them excited ! Thanks for sharing!

  2. Thank you for the compliment. My students have been enjoying this game.

  3. This looks like fun! Thanks for sharing!

    Mrs. Beattie's Classroom

  4. Thanks, Erin. I'm planning to laminate a set of 100 charts for this and other games.

  5. This is a great idea! Thank you so much for sharing. I'm a new follower!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    1. Welcome! I hope your students enjoy this game as much as mine do.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...