Monday, May 20, 2013

I AM a writer

Ever since I was able to hold a pen and create books out of stapled paper at the kitchen table, I have wanted to be a writer.  I spent the weekend at a writing conference and for the first time in my adult life, I feel successful as a writer.

I attend this conference every year and it's my version of a retreat.  I come back renewed and ready to be creative.  The first year I went just to remind myself of my writing dreams.  The next year I had just started blogging and posting on Teachers pay Teachers.  I felt brave enough to schedule appointments with a couple of editors.    This year I went to a business seminar with tax questions and people came to me for advice about blogging and networking.  I just emailed an editor I met so I can pitch some ideas.

We aren't supposed to compare ourselves with others, because focusing on others' opportunities causes us to miss our own.  I'm glad I have this opportunity to reflect each year on the progress I am making toward my own creative goals.

I can't wait to share this with my students.  They need to see adults continuing to learn and work toward their goals.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...