Friday, May 10, 2013

Fractions, Decimals, and Percent on the 100 Chart



Last week I officially started a series of math activities on the 100 chart.  The free printables I used for this lesson are available in a Google Doc here.  This week I want to share how I show the relationships between fractions, decimals and percent on the 100 chart.

I have a set of full color charts in my Teachers Pay Teachers and Teacher's Notebook store.

Update July 2015: this year I made the squares on the 100 chart larger to fit the cubic math materials I have.

To teach the lesson, I print up several 100 charts and have students color halves, fourths, and fifths.  (I don't have everyone color every chart.  This could be a good jigsaw lesson, or strictly with a small group of students who didn't get it the first time.)  We talk about the numbers where one color ends and the next begins.  I show them with a calculator what happens when I convert the fraction to a decimal and point out the relationship if they don't see it for themselves.

Next I introduce thirds, sixths, and eighths.  We talk about how we have to divide up some of the individual squares to make equal parts of the whole.  Once again, I show them on the calculator what it looks like when I divide the numerator by the denominator. I explain (or remind) that the patterns in thirds and sixths go on forever.  By comparing charts, they can also see some equivalent fractions.

Here is the link to my Fraction, Decimal, Percent Bundle of activities and materials on TPT.  The Fraction, Decimal, Percent Bundle is also available on TN.

Important note: I once spent a bunch of time reteaching a student who filled in a chart converting fractions to decimals.  Her teacher required the class to use long division to complete the table.  Any pattern that this student might have noticed was lost in the long division process.  I might add, this student hates math.  I'm sure this is one of the events that contributed to this.  Please allow your students to use multiplication tables or calculators if they are already struggling with basic facts.  Thank you.

I know how important it is for students to see a math concept multiple ways before it sinks in.  I hope this activity is helpful in your classroom.


3 comments:

  1. I love finding activities for upper grades on the 100 chart! Thanks for sharing.

    Blair
    One Lesson at a Time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...