Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Favorite Read Aloud #6 -- The Series of Unfortunate Events

I enjoy reading aloud from Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events.  The first three books are my favorite in the series, however  I was disappointed with later books.



I teach my student about voice and varying sentence length using passages from these books.  If you analyze some of the opening sentences in each chapter, you will notice that Snicket's sentences are long and complex.

I also use this series to teach supporting an opinion with evidence from the text.  I post the statement, "Count Olaf is an evil man," and students collect examples from the stories.  You can hardly read through any chapter without finding evidence of this.

For a simple graphic organizer to collect evidence that supports an opinion, click here. The sentences may then be written as a paragraph.

This post is part of a continuing series that starts here.

To connect with me at Goodreads, click here.

For an explanation of my rating system, click here.

2 comments:

  1. I read Book One in the beginning of the year and my kids loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished reading Book One a couple weeks ago.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...