Sunday, February 1, 2015

Quote of the Week -- February 1, 2015



"I'm just here so I won't get fined." Marshawn Lynch.

Bear with me a bit.  You'll see the connection to teaching and probably other over-regulated industries in a minute.

This week in Seattle, people are obsessed with everything Seahawks.  In case you aren't a Seahawks fan, Marshawn Lynch is a running back who hates talking to the media.  In the past the NFL has fined him for not being available to talk to the press after games.  This week he showed up, but repeated the same phrase 29 times. (You can see the video here.)

I watched the video just before Wednesday's staff meeting.  I was inspired.  Here is someone who found a way to have fun with a part of the job he hates.  I can relate. (Yes, I whispered across the table to a couple people at the meeting, "I'm just here so I won't get fined."  Our staff meetings have been stifling lately.)

The NFL has become so regulated that players get into trouble for wearing the wrong headphones, hats, and shoes.  They have ignored deeper issues with players and the game and completely focused on what is important to corporate sponsors.

Not unlike education today.  I struggle with losing the joy of teaching and learning with all the bureaucracy.  Big shots pay attention to corporate sponsors when making educational policy decisions.  It's not about the students anymore.

I'm still invested emotionally in most of my job, but as for the rest, "You know why I'm here."

Go Hawks!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...