Monday, March 14, 2016

Self-Control Revisited


Early in the history of this blog, I posted something about self-control.  It wasn't a great post and the links are broken, but the original idea has lasted.  

The quote above is one I have used in my classrooms.  I often follow up with "Do you want self-discipline or teacher discipline?"

Students don't like it when someone tells them what to do--whether it's me or another student.  I am trying to appeal to their intrinsic motivation instead of external rewards.  I want them to see why someone may be redirecting their behavior.

Recently, I wrote this on the whiteboard in a class where I was the guest teacher.  It was all the redirection most of the students needed.  There's always an outlier.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...