Monday, July 16, 2012

Virgin Atlantic Rocks!


This may not seem related to teaching, but hang with me for a few minutes.

Recently I made my first overseas trip to visit my family in London.  I have not had great experience with flying across the United States and wasn't looking forward to the trip. 

TSA scares me.  I am a rule follower and I don't like the feeling of being in trouble.  No matter what I do to prepare and follow directions, I do something wrong and get extra negative attention.  It bothers me that all of us are treated like criminals for the actions of a few.

I was pleasantly surprised by the positive attention I received on Virgin Atlantic.  They have procedures that make sense and employees that respond cheerfully when something goes wrong.  My flight from Vancouver, B. C. to London and back was better than many trips I have taken with other airlines.

I started thinking about classrooms that work.  The teacher has thought-through procedures that are deliberately taught and responds positively when something goes wrong.  The whole class isn't punished for the actions of a few.

I started fantasizing that teachers should take over TSA.  We know when someone is up to something without putting them through a scanner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...