Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A Cautionary Tale -- Uglies by Scott Westerfeld


I often have students recommend books for me to read aloud.  Uglies, by Scott Westerfeld, was a request last year.  I insist that I only read aloud books that I have read myself. 

This summer I had a chance to read it.  I confess I barely made it through the first fifty pages.  I am generally a squeamish person and the idea of mandatory plastic surgery on one's sixteenth birthday to turn one from ugly to pretty made me sick to my stomach.  I know there are those who have read it and will disagree with me.  I choose not to include it in my classroom and I'm glad I stuck to my policy to pre-read books.

For an explanation of my rating scale, click here.
Find me at Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...