Monday, October 29, 2012

How Class Size Matters


Last week our school had parent teacher conferences, and this year I only have twenty-four students.  I found that I knew each student better than the years I have had 28- 30 students, and I could give parents more detailed information about each subject.  This is because I have the chance to get to each student during the course of a lesson.  Because I know each student better, I can tailor my instruction accordingly. 

Even four or five more students in a class makes a difference.  My school day is divided among that many more needs.  Multiply that times the time it takes to correct papers, make thoughtful comments, and address misconceptions for each child...if you are a teacher reading this, I don't need to continue.  There are only so many minutes in a day.  I feel like I can go deeper with each lesson.

I don't know if this will translate into higher test scores this year.  That's usually how programs are evaluated.  What I do know is I have hardworking students and satisfied parents.

We do not work in a factory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...