Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Creepy Carrots by Aaron Reynolds

 


Creepy Carrots was a great book to teach my students synthesis: changing your mind as you read.  I had students collect evidence as I read to support their idea about what was really happening in the story.  I intentionally delayed reading the ending which removes all doubt.


Jasper Rabbit loves to eat carrots until they start following him everywhere.  The students argued whether the carrots were really creeping or if it was just Jasper's overactive imagination.  Evidence in the text and especially the pictures causes the reader to change his mind while he reads the story.

Here is a graphic organizer for students to keep track of how their thinking changes throughout the story.

For an explanation of my rating scale, click here.
Find me at Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...