Wednesday, June 12, 2013

This is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

I used this book to teach the difference between making predictions and making inferences.  A small fish steals a big fish's hat.  Throughout the story, there are predictions students can make as they read using clues in the text and pictures.  They find out in the next page or two if their prediction is correct.



The end of this book is somewhat ambiguous.  Students must infer what happened.  The author never tells for sure.  I made my students choose how they thought the book ended and stand on a side of the room to demonstrate their choice.  Then they had to discuss first with a student who agreed with them and then with someone who disagreed with them why they believed their version of the story.

Here is a graphic organizer for students to keep track of how their thinking changes throughout the story.

For an explanation of my rating scale, click here.
Find me at Goodreads.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...