Monday, December 22, 2014

A Way to Think About Menus


I was making a list of math choices for my students when they were finished with the main lesson.  I started describing the choices like the items on a menu:

Main Dish -- I want everyone to choose one of the items from this section. 

Side Dish -- Once they have completed a main dish, they may choose items from this section. 

Dessert Menu -- Only after completing items from the previous two sections, a student may choose from this list.

I use this format for computer time and writing choices also.

I schedule different subjects for different times of the day and the choices for fast finishers correspond to those subjects.  I explain that I want my students to have a balanced diet across all subjects.  They accept these choices from this structure.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...