Monday, January 12, 2015

Quilt Square Project #3

 
If you are a frequent reader, you know I have been creating some quilt square projects for my students to use their knowledge of geometry, measurement, and fractions in a hands on way. 
 
For this project, I modified the trapezoid project we did last year.  This time I gave my students a 6 X 6 inch square and four 3 X 3 inch squares.  I showed them how to cut diagonal lines on the 3 X 3 squares that were not corner to corner.  The resulting shapes are trapezoids.  We drew some congruent trapezoids with the remaining squares and then reassembled on the 6 X 6 background.
 
 

 
 When I stapled them all together on the bulletin board we ended up with a "quilt" like the top picture.

If you missed Quilt Square Project #1, click here.


If you missed Quilt Square Project #2, click here.

I hope you enjoy these lessons with your students.

 
Have you visited Math Spies?  This post right here introduces Quilt Square Codes.  Students use the fraction of each color to solve a code word.

The full paid product has 32 task cards and is available at TPT and TN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...