Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Dead Boys by Royce Buckingham


My students complain that I don't have enough scary stories in my classroom library.  I don't like scary and I'm quite picky about books I'm willing to promote.  I checked out The Dead Boys by Royce Buckingham a couple of summers ago, but didn't get around to reading it.  When it won an award in our state, I decided to give it another try.

Teddy lives in the Tri-Cities area of Washington State.  He starts meeting other boys his age who disappear mysteriously.  There's also a creepy tree in his neighborhood that's been drinking radioactive water.

There are elements to this story that are cleverly written.  I wouldn't read this aloud to all my fourth graders, but students who love scary will love this book.

  
For an explanation of my rating scale, click here.
Find me at Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...