Monday, February 22, 2016

More Online Testing: English Language Learners

Right now I am administering the annual test that measures how our English Language Learners read, write, listen, and speak in English.  For the first year the test is online.

I am not a technophobe.  I use technology professionally and personally, but I know I think differently when I use paper and pen.  When a pencil breaks, you hand the student a new one.

The test has gone smoothly except for the typical glitches.  When the system crashes or there is an interruption in the internet, we have been able to start back up where we left off...most of the time.

I know the person who designed the log in system was more concerned about security than making it kid-friendly.  Every student has had to scroll through a lot of educational jargon to begin their actual test.

I am concerned about the number of questions: 93-100 for the grades I have tested.  This makes for long testing sessions: 1.5-2.5 hours for even first graders.

I am also concerned with the speaking part.  Students record their voices into the computer.  I have had some of my shy students completely shut down over this.  I don't know how their recordings are turning out.  I'm not supposed to know.

Tomorrow I will begin testing the kindergartners.  Pray for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...